When shopping for carpet, you should definitely consider the fiber used. The material contributes to the carpet’s comfort, durability, ease of maintenance, and overall appearance. Though there are a variety of synthetic and natural fibers used in carpets today, wool has long stood out as a reliable choice for Edmond homeowners. Here are a few of the reasons why we at Floor Coverings International Edmond recommend wool carpet:
Advantages of Wool Carpet
- Wool is a durable choice that works well in commercial spaces and high traffic areas like hallways and stairs. It is also fairly simple to maintain, as dirt and dust sits on the surface of the fiber (making it easy to vacuum up).
- If you have someone with allergies or asthma in your home, you’ll want to take that into consideration when you choose a carpet. Since wool is naturally hypoallergenic, it is better for your home’s air quality than many other fibers.
- Wool is one of the most eco-friendly flooring options out there. Since wool is a renewable resource that is grown and shorn from sheep, it can be produced with little impact on the environment. It is considerably greener than synthetic fibers, and it’s also an excellent insulator, so it can even help cut down on your energy bills.
Things to Consider
- One of the downsides to wool is that it can be significantly more expensive than synthetic fibers. If you are looking for long-term value, the durability and comfort of wool should pay off, but if you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider other carpet materials.
- Wool can be quite absorbent, so it does not handle stains as well as some synthetic fibers. That is why it works best in areas with more foot traffic (like hallways, stairs, or bedrooms), but should be kept out of areas where water and food may be spilled (like dining rooms and kids’ rooms).
For more information about wool and other carpet materials, contact Floor Coverings International Edmond today! We provide free in-home consultations and estimates to homeowners in the Oklahoma City, Edmond, and Piedmont area.
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: Kues